Title: Your Rights
ISBN: 978 1 74148 669 8
Topic: Survival and Safety
Middle Primary B/Set 3
Description: What are your rights? Do you have the right to play and eat healthy food? Do you have the right to go to school? Read Your Rights to find out! Your Rights will inspire you to help the fight for rights for all children throughout the world.
- The United Nations has agreed that all children have some basic rights.
- Rights also bring responsibilities.
- There is a difference between wants and rights.
- Many people, groups and organisations work to improve people’s lives.
- We can all make a difference – “Think global, act local”.
Curriculum links: Study of society/Culture
Text types in this book
- Report: question and answer
Text features of this book
- Contents page
- Useful websites
- Specialised vocabulary
- Did you know?
- Think like a social scientist
- Think about…
- Cartoon illustrations
Reading and thinking strategies
- Using phonetic knowledge to work out unknown words
- Cross-checking information to confirm predictions while reading
- Identifying ways in which the suffix “ed” may be added
- Comparing and contrasting information
- Researching information on the Internet
- Relating the information in the text to their own personal experiences