Title: Time Detectives
ISBN: 978 1 74148 803 6
Upper Primary/Set 2
Description: Get ready to go back in time! In Time Detectives, you will discover how people find out about the past. Better yet, you will find out what these time detectives know about things that happened thousands, or even millions of years ago.
- Studying history provides people with knowledge and skills to understand themselves and their world.
- The significance of continuity – how aspects of past societies and cultures have been preserved.
- Fossils are an important treasure as they reveal secrets about past life on Earth.
- There are a range of evidence and sources of information about past times.
Curriculum links: Study of society/Natural history
Text types in this book
- Newspaper report
Text features of this book
- Contents page
- Specialised vocabulary
- Did you know? boxes
- Fact boxes
- Activity boxes
- Time detectives at work boxes
Reading and thinking strategies
- Selecting and integrating reading strategies, for example, sub-vocalising, substituting, using mental imagery, skimming or scanning, selfcorrecting, slowing down, reading on, rereading and so on
- Displaying a positive attitude to reading, for example, being totally absorbed when reading, seeing books as a major source of information, confidently handling new texts
- Supporting text discussions with evidence from the text