Title: Then and Now
ISBN: 978 1 74148 656 8
Topic: Change and Continuity
Middle Primary A/Set 3
Description: Meet the Favretto family, who migrated from Italy over 50 years ago. There is Jade who is eight, and her mother, grandmother and great-grandmother. Let them tell you about their lives together and the similarities and differences between then and now.
- Our community is made up of diverse cultural groups. These cultural groups have made significant contributions to our society that have an impact on many aspects of our daily life.
- Emigrating is leaving a country to live somewhere else and immigrating is arriving in a new country to live.
Curriculum links: Study of society
Text types in this book
Text features of this book
- Table of contents
- Specialised vocabulary
- Speech bubbles
- Glossary of Italian words
- Think about…
- Did you know?
- Thinking like a historian
Reading and thinking strategies
- Accessing prior knowledge
- Posing and answering questions
- Recognising what has changed over time
- Discussing differences between each generation and the children’s own experiences
- Understanding the directional language of photograph labels: above, left, right, far left, top, clockwise and so on
- Identifying first person pronouns: I, we, my, our