ISBN: 978 1 74148 665 0
Topic: Homes and Shelters
Middle Primary B/Set 2
Description: There are big, vibrant cities all around the world. You may even live in one. But do you know how cities come about? Read Cities to discover how cities grow from small settlements to huge thriving communities. You can read about the first city ever, as well as some of the most famous and interesting cities in the world.
- Cities are built where there is transport – hence their location at natural ports and on rivers.
- Cities have grown because people often move to cities in search of work.
- Some cities have been around for ages and others, for example, New York or Sydney, are relatively new.
Curriculum links: Study of society
Text types in this book
- Report: compare and contrast
Text features of this book
- Contents page
- Specialised vocabulary
- Did you know?
- Fact boxes
- Travel guide
Reading and thinking strategies
- Using details in illustrations and photographs to support understanding of text
- Developing knowledge of paragraphs
- Summarising information
- Identifying facts and opinions