Title: Animals and Us
ISBN: 978 1 74148 798 5
Upper Primary/Set 1
Description: Do you have animals in your life? Even if you don’t own a pet, animals may play more of a part in your life than you think. Animals and Us tells you how animals became a part of human lives, and describes the ways in which they still are.
- People have depended on animals for a long time.
- Some animals have been changed due to their relationship with people over thousandsof years, for example, domesticated animals.
- Animals are used in scientific and medical research: not all people believe that this should occur.
- Living things are interdependent for their survival.
Curriculum links: Study of Society/History/Science
Text types in this book
Text features of this book
- Contents page
- Specialised vocabulary
- Did you know? boxes
- Think about… boxes
- Photographic table
Reading and thinking strategies
- Articulating thinking and strategies used
- Critically responding to the text
- Expressing their own point of view
- Selecting and integrating reading strategies, for example, rereading, sub-vocalising, skimming, self-correcting, slowing down, substituting, predicting and confirming
- Supporting opinions with proof in the text
- Synthesising the text