Title: About Animals
ISBN: 978 1 74148 647 6
Topic: The Nature of Our World
Middle Primary A/Set 1
Description: Is a cat an animal? What about coral, or a mosquito? Read About Animals to find out not only what makes an animal an animal, but also how scientists put animals into groups by looking at some important features that animals share.
- Understanding what living things are and how they are grouped and classified.
- Understanding how the animal kingdom is divided into two groups: vertebrates and invertebrates.
- Looking at how animals can appear to be the same but really are different.
Curriculum links: Natural Science
Text types in this book
- Report: compare and contrast
Text features of this book
- Microscopic image
- Specialised vocabulary
- Table of contents
- Fact boxes
- Thinking like a scientist
- Cross-section diagrams
- Graphic organiser
Reading and thinking strategies
- Accessing prior knowledge
- Posing questions
- Reading main body of text and accompanying extra information
- Understanding the hierarchical structure of the classification system
- Interpreting tables and charts